Dwayne Johnson | Biography, Wrestling, Films, & Facts
Dwayne Johnson who is fondly known by his ring name, "The Rock" is an actor, professional wrestler & a producer who holds a dual Citizenship of Canada as well as America.
Dwayne Johnson was born on 02-05-1972 in Hayward in the state of California, United States. He is an American-Canadian Film Actor, Film Producer, Wrestler, Football Player & Voice Artist.
Dwayne Johnson is a professional wrestler turned actor known for his appearance in the fantasy adventure film, ‘The Mummy Returns. A highly successful professional wrestler before making his foray into films, Johnson is also famous for his ring name, ‘The Rock’
Born into a family of wrestlers, it comes as no surprise that he too made a name for himself in the sport. Athletic and inclined towards sports from a young age, he used to participate in many sporting activities as a school student. He played football for his high school and was also a member of the school's track and field and wrestling teams
He was a promising footballer and received a full scholarship from the University of Miami to play defensive tackle. He was hopeful of making it big as a professional footballer when an injury put a full stop to his football ambitions. Though disappointed, he did not let this incident demotivate him and instead decided to become a wrestler.
His father, a professional wrestler himself, began training the young man. Eventually, he made his WWF debut and established himself as a successful wrestler. Due to his popularity coupled with his rugged good looks, he started receiving offers from Hollywood studios and he began his acting career with the movie, ‘The Mummy Returns.
|Other Name:||Dwayne Douglas Johnson, The Rock, Flex Kavana, Rocky Maivia|
|Other Professions:||Film Producer Wrestler Football Player Voice Artist Businessperson Philanthropist|
|Appearance:||Hollywood WWE WWF WCW|
Childhood & Early Life
- He was born Dwayne Douglas Johnson on May 2, 1972, in Hayward, California, United States. His father, Rocky Johnson, was a professional wrestler while his mother, Ata Maivia, was the daughter of a wrestler. His father is of Black Nova Scotian origin, while his mother is of Samoan heritage, which explains his exotic looks.
- He lived in New Zealand for a brief period and attended the Richmond Road Primary School, before returning to the United States where he enrolled at the Freedom High School.
- He was an athletic teenager and participated in several sporting activities. He played football and was also a member of the school's track and field and wrestling teams.
- His favorite sport was football and he received a full scholarship from the University of Miami to play defensive tackle. However, an injury dashed his dreams of a football career. He graduated in 1995, with a Bachelor of General Studies degree in criminology and physiology.
- He decided to train as a wrestler and received his initial training from his father.
The young Johnson rose up seeing his father battling it in the sport of professional wrestling. Initially, he never thought of taking wrestling as a profession as he was into Football and used to play football for his University team. He wouldn’t have dropped that idea of becoming a footballer until a back injury forced him to quit his plans. Thus, he decided to take up Wrestling.
Dwayne Johnson switched to wrestling and made his debut in the WWF against the mighty Brooklyn Brawler. Soon after, he started playing tag team matches and made a formidable pair with Bart Sawyer. The two won most of their matches and were one of the most successful tag team partners. He subsequently got involved in the elite band of wrestlers also called The Corporation. He started playing solo matches and his rift with Steve Austin was one of the biggest highlights of his wrestling career. In his illustrious career as a Wrestler, The Rock has won the WWF Tag Team Championships five times and the coveted WWF Heavyweight belt six times.
In 2016, Dwayne Johnson starred in the action-comedy 'Central Intelligence' and gave his voice to the character of Polynesian demigod Maui in the Disney animated film Moana.
Dwayne Johnson starred in Jumanji: The Next Level, in 2019.
From 2015 to 2019, Dwayne Johnson produced and starred in the HBO series Ballers. The series was ranked as HBO's most-watched comedy in six years.
Johnson literally dominated the silver screen with a couple of power-packed performances in big budgets action films such as Fast & Furious Seven and San Andreas. His recently released films include Baywatch, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, and Jumanji 3 among others. In addition to acting, he has also tried his hands at production and has produced some of the biggest hit films of Hollywood such as Skyscraper and Shazam! among others.
A glimpse of his wrestling career:-
- Johnson has won a total of 17 championships in WWE, out of which ten as the world champion.
- He won the National Championship in the 1991 Miami Hurricanes Football Match for his prolific performance on the soccer field representing his skills in soccer as well.
- He is the 6th "Triple Crown Champion" in the history of WWE who also won the Royal Rumble in 2000.
- He won the "Teen Choice Award" for his acting skills in the movie "The Mummy Returns" in 2001. He has also received 9 Slammy awards including "Game Changer Of the Year" for 2011, "Match Of the Year" and "The Best Actor" for 2013.
- He got the Favorite "Male Butt Kicker Award" at Kid’s Choice in 2013.
- He received a Favorite "Premium Cable TV Actor" Award at People’s Choice in 2016.
- He also earned the "Best Actor Shorty’s Award" in 2016.
- In 2000, he was ranked no. 2 in the top 500 professional wrestlers' list "PWI 500".
- In 2016, he was selected as "Mr. Olympia" in a professional bodybuilding contest.
Dwayne Johnson Family, Relatives, and Other Relations
He was born to Rocky Johnson and Ata Johnson. He has a brother named Curtis Bowles and a sister named Wanda Bowles. He was married to his childhood sweetheart Dancy Gracia from 1997 to 2007. The couple had a daughter named Simone Alexandra. Since then he has been in a relationship with Lauren Hashian and together the couple is blessed with two daughters named Jasmine Johnson & Tiana Gia Johnson. On 18-08-2019, he married Lauren Hashian.
- 2021People's Choice Awards-Favorite Cable TV Actor: Nominated
- 2021People's Choice Awards-Favorite Movie Actor: Winner
- 2019People's Choice Awards-Favorite Movie Actor: Nominated
- 2019People's Choice Awards-Favorite Comedic Movie Actor: Nominated
- 2019People's Choice Awards-Favorite Action Movie Actor: Nominated
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Car Collections||Hummer, Aston Martin, Ferrari, and Mercedes SUV|
|Favorite Actor||Will Smith|
|Favorite Movie||The Godfather (1972)|
|Favorite Food||Pizza and Donuts|
- Began learning basic wrestling moves from his father, professional wrestler Rocky Johnson, at age 6
- Started out as a football player in college, playing defensive tackle for the University of Miami
- Briefly played for the Calgary Stampeders in the Canadian Football League in 1995
- Returned home to Miami after his football stint ended and, with the help of his father, worked to get his start in professional wrestling
- Although his early good-guy wrestling persona, Rocky Maivia, was a flop, he eventually became known as The Rock and grew to become one of the most popular wrestlers of all time
- Appeared as his father in a 1999 wrestling-themed episode of That '70s Show
- Received $5
- 5 million for his film debut in 2002's The Scorpion King, an exceptionally high salary for an actor's first movie role
- Was crowned a high chief in Samoa during a 2004 visit to his mother's homeland
- Founded the Dwayne Johnson Rock Foundation, a charity that works with at-risk and terminally ill children, in 2006
- Named People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive in 2016