Madhubala | Biography, Films, & Facts
Venus Queen is the tag name of Begum Mumtaz Jehan Dehlavi. she was an Indian film actress and one of the most captivating superstars Bollywood has ever produced.
Begum Mumtaz Jehan Dehlavi Bio
Madhubala was born on 14 February 1933, in Delhi, British India. She was an Indian Film Actress who was known for her work in Hindi and Malayalam Cinema. Her birth name is Begum Mumtaz Jehan Dehlavi. She was given the nickname Venus Queen.
|Real Name||Begum Mumtaz Jehan Dehlavi|
|By Name||Venus Queen|
Known for her beauty and sensitive portrayals of characters, she appeared in over 70 films in a variety of genres in a career spanning over two decades. However, only fifteen of her films were successful at the box office. Madhubala, who is widely remembered for playing the role of Anarkali in the critically acclaimed film ‘Mughal-e-Azam,’ was also known as the “Marilyn Monroe of Bollywood” as both shared some striking similarities: smoldering good looks, brief career, and tragic end.
Born in an extremely poor family of Pathan Muslims in Delhi, Madhubala entered the world of Indian cinema at the tender age of nine. After playing a few child roles, she finally arrived on the big screen at the age of 14, when she appeared as the romantic lead opposite Raj Kapoor in the movie ‘Neel Kamal’. Often called “The Venus of Indian Cinema" and "The Beauty with Tragedy", Madhubala managed to capture millions of hearts with her beauty and talent. Her tumultuous private life also received much attention. From an uncertain relationship with Bollywood superstar Dilip Kumar to her troubled marriage with Kishore Kumar, the Indian beauty faced several hardships in her personal life. She died from a prolonged illness at 36.
|Date of Birth||14-Feb-33|
|Birthplace||Delhi, British India|
|Home Town||Delhi, British India|
|Present Residence||Delhi, British India|
|Sign of the Zodiac||Aquarius|
- Madhubala was born as Mumtaz Jehan Begum Dehlavi on February 14, 1933, in Delhi, British India, as the fifth of eleven children to Attaullah Khan and his wife Ayesha Begum. After her father lost his job, the family relocated to Bombay, where they endured many hardships.
- Her two brothers and three sisters died at the ages between five and six. Her surviving sisters were named Altaf Kowal, Kainz Balsara, Chanchal Ibrahim, Madhur (Zahida) Bhushan and Shahida Kazi.
- On 14 April 1944, the infamous dock explosion and fire incident wiped out their home. Fortunately, the family survived as they were at a local theatre to watch a film.
- At a young age, Madhubala began to look out for work. She would pay frequent visits to film studios and finally got her start in the industry at the age of nine.
|Other Name:||Majhlee Aapa, Madhu, Baby Mumtaz, Mumtaz Jehan Begum Dehlavi, The Beauty with Tragedy, The Venus Queen of Indian Cinema, Marilyn Monroe of Bollywood, Venus Queen, Anarkali of Hindi Cinema|
|Other Professions:||Film Producer|
Madhubala was arguably the most prepossessing actress to ever grace the Silver Screen; Madhubala rose from undistinguished background to become the most enthralling star Hindi cinema has ever produced. Madhubala entered the cinematic world at the tender age of eight. She did child artist roles for five years before getting her first break in a lead role at the age of 14 in Kidar Sharma’s film Neel Kamal in 1947, she played a romantic lead against the budding star, Raj Kapoor. Through this film, Madhubala announced her arrival on the silver screen. Over the next couple of years, she had evolved into a truly ecstatic beauty and with the movie Mahal in 1949, she literally became an overnight superstar.
During the 1950s, she was marked by spots of true prowess - movies like Tarana, Mr. & Mrs. '55 and of course, the biggest hit of her career Mughal-E-Azam showcased her outstanding talents as a serious artiste across different genres and exhibited what this exquisite beauty was truly gifted of. However many in that believed that her beauty sometimes overshadowed her acting skills. Her beauty also interested various Hollywood filmmakers and she became one of the first Indian actresses to be featured in Hollywood famous magazine Theatre Arts. A full article in the magazine was dedicated to her with the title "The Biggest Star in the World - and she's not in Beverly Hills" in the year 1952. She even received Hollywood offers from a renowned American director named Frank Capra. Her father who looked after her work denied the offer.
- In 1958, Madhubala appeared alongside her future husband Kishore Kumar in the romantic comedy ‘Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi’. The film, also featuring Kumar’s two brothers Ashok Kumar and Anoop Kumar, was the second highest-grossing film of the year. Its songs "Ek Ladki Bheegi Bhagi Si", "Babu Samjho Ishaare" and "Haal Kaisa Hai Janab Ka" became immensely popular.
- In 1960, Madhubala was seen in ‘Mughal-e-Azam’, an Indian epic historical drama film that marked what many consider to be her greatest characterization, as Anarkali, the doomed courtesan who falls in love with the Mughal Prince Salim (aka Emperor Jahangir).
- The film ‘Mughal-e-Azam’ broke many box office records in India and went on to become the highest-grossing movie of that period. Madhubala’s performance was highly appreciated and earned her a Filmfare Award nomination—her first and only one.
Begum Mumtaz Jehan Dehlavi Height, Weight, and Physical Info
Fans always like to know about the Physical structure of their favorite personalities. They do follow the personage’s set-up, height, weight, and even hairstyles. We are concerned about it. The height of Begum Mumtaz Jehan Dehlavi is 162 Centimeters in the parameter of Centimeters, 55 Kg in the parameter of Feet inches. She is approximately 55 Kg. The Weight varies from time to time, here you get the latest weight. The color of her eye is Dark Brown. and the hair color is Black.
|Height in Feet||55 Kg|
|Height in cm||162 Centimeters|
|Weights In Kg||55 Kg|
|Weights In lbs||121 Pounds|
|Bra Size||33- inches|
|Hip Size||33- inches|
|Size of Waist||26- inches|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Begum Mumtaz Jehan Dehlavi boyfriend and Marital Status
What do you think about the marital status of Begum Mumtaz Jehan Dehlavi? If you are interested enough in personal life, you get all the personal info here. In the below table you will get the information about the affair, marital status, hobbies, and others. We have also added the favorite personalities and things in the section. Check the below to the table to know about your favorite person’s marital life.
|Schools||Dhirubhai Ambani International School, Mumbai|
|College Name||University College London|
|Level of Education||Not Known|
Begum Mumtaz Jehan Dehlavi Net Worth and Salary Information
|Net Worth||1-5 Million USD|
|Favorite Book||Not Known|
|Favorite Color Name||White, Pink|
|Favorite Destination Name||Goa, London, New York, Dubai|
|Favorite Food||Not Known|
|Favorite Brand||Not Known|
|Favorite Games||Not Known|
Shocking / Interesting Facts & Secrets About Madhubala
- Her pairing with legendary actor Dilip Kumar was very famous during the decade of the 1950s.
- She sent a love letter in Urdu along with a rose to Dilip Kumar on the sets of the film Tarana in the year 1951.
- Since her father had objections to her doing intimate scenes, director K. Asif sent her assistant to take her father out and play rummy with him and keep losing until the scenes are shot.
- Her 1950 film Hanste Aansoo was the first-ever Hindi film to get an "A" meaning adults-only rating from the Central Board of Film Certification.
- The digitally colorized version of her top famous film Mughal-e-Azam was released after 35 years of her death.
- On 10-08-2017, a statue of Anarkali (Madhubala's famous courtesan) was established in Madame Tussauds, a Wax Museum.
- In 2018, a belated obituary was published for her by the New York Times.
- On her 86th birthday i.e. 14-02-2019, Google honored her with a doodle.
That’s all about Begum Mumtaz Jehan Dehlavi’s age, height, weight, and biography. Hope the above information helps you to know about her. If you get any wrong information, you can contact us through our comment form. We are looking forward to hearing from you.